Wednesday 15 May 2013

2013 a great start

So, 2013 season finally arrived with freezing temperatures, snow, ice, and bitterly cold winds. Despite the weather I managed a several hours at Pitsford at opening weekend. Joined by a few regulars in the afternoon we all caught a few fish.

Grafham opening day was mid March and I met up with Steve and Chris at The Seat where I caught 7 on floating line with Pitsford Pea. Not a bad day really and a steady start to the season.

Rutland opening weekend was Easter Weekend. Good Friday I fished on the bank at Whitwell and although there was still snow in the ground it wasn't too cold. Floating line, nymphs and even buzzers lat in the day all helped to catch and release 17 fish. By 4pm it was getting colder so packed up and went to the lodge.

Easter Saturday I shared a boat with Chris Bobby on Grafham. Still very very cold and even snowing at times we had a great day on Di7's with orange blobs where we both caught and released 17 each by 5 pm.

Easter Sunday and the 3rd consecutive days fishing I had arranged a boat with Sheena Goode at Draycote. The boat harbour was frozen over at 9 am so we had to break the ice to leave the harbour.
Sheena found the method early, Di5 sweep with blob, nymph, Pitsford Pea combination. I changed from a slow glass to match Sheena and the fish just kept coming. By lunch time we were frozen so headed in to the lodge for lunch and to warm up. 16 fish caught and released in a couple of hours. Warm again we headed out forth a afternoon and b 5pm we had caught and released 38 fish and killed 1 each. Both were over 4lb!

The following weekend I fished the Lexus European Qualifier at Rutland. Paired with Joan Russell I had a good idea where to go and the right method as I had been of the day before with Chris Bobby. I bagged up by 1.45 and Joan finished and hour later. 5th place was my result but only 2 wen brought to the final so no good enough.

The next weekend I was back at Grafham with Steve Ellerbeck for a Team England Pairs fundraiser. A friendly competition with some different rules. Only 8 fish killed in the boat on any method then a maximum of 12 catch and released but only on floating or slow intermediate lines. We ended the day with our 8 killed but only 11 released. Still, there were prizes for everyone and we had a good day.
The next day was the Bob Church Open at Grafham. No chance to practice so the only info I had was Gaynes Point to Q buoy. Most boats stayed near he lodge so I thought I had made a mistake. Another Di7 day by his time with black and green blobs. Bagged up at 3pm for a 3rd place finish. Really pleased with that.

Finally, to complete he catch up of the start to the season, was the annual GWFFA/EDFF day. It's annual friendly competition pairs up able bodies with disabled anglers and we fish as a pair. Drawn with Mike Hills who had won the previous 2 years I hoped we would be in for a good day. After staring at Hill Farm we quickly moved to G Buoy then eventually D buoy. I think we had our 16 in the boat b about 4pm and Mike made it 3 wins on the trot and my first win.

Phew! Been a busy couple of months. Will try and keep up to date from now on. Next match is an AMFFC Div 1 match at Grafham. Look out for the update.

Tight Lines

No comments: