Monday 20 April 2009

Lexus European Flyfishing Championship Qualifier

Sunday 19th I fished my very first Lexus Individual Qualifier on Grafham. The day started at 10.00 with 16 boats setting out from the harbour. It was a nice sunny morning but the wind was strong from the North making the South shore very choppy indeed. Although I knew there were fish around Perry Point, Sailing Club Bay and The Seat I agreed with my boat partner that Hill Farm and The Stumps was a good bet. At least 10 other boats agreed with us and a small fleet headed in the Aeration Tower direction.

I started with a pulling cast, blob, cats whisker and booby which I stuck with for an hour. My boat partner, Peter Elliot, caught 2 in that hour on a midge tip with buzzers so deciding that 1 may have a been a fluke but 2 was a trend I switched to the same. Peter had 5 before I got a pull so I was getting worried. I eventually got another and Peter bagged up by 3.10pm. I stuck it out around Hill Farm and moved into Pig Bay about 4.00 where I picked up 2 more on the buzzers and finished the day on 4.

In hindsight, which is always 20/20 vision I should have ventured to the South shore. The fastest to bag up was 34 mins. Finished by 10.34am was amazing.

Oh well, no shiny new Lexus for me. Maybe next year. A great experience though and my first major competion so learnt a lot and gained in confidence.

A huge well done to Richard Kesek though who had a cracking bag of 8 fish and won the day. Peter Hartley had 5 fish as well so well done Peter.

No comments: