Wednesday 8 April 2009

Another great evening at Rutland

Tuesday 7th April and I met up with Peter Waterhouse at East Creek on Rutland around 5pm. Peter was already fishing and hooked into his first fish as I was still tackling up.

I waded in next to him but struggled to cast so took a walk around the bay to try and find some easier spots. Peter took a second fish whilst I was still battling with an uncooperative wind.Peter hooked into a 3rd fish which was a bit feisty and eventually snapped his leader. Whilst he was replacing his lost leader and flies I dropped into his spot and connected with a fish on my first cast. I was so surprised I lost it.

I stayed in this spot while Peter took a look into the next bay. Half an hour later I had 2 on the bank and was just about to pop round and see how Peter was getting on when he came over the hill with a grin from ear to ear and proudly announced he had bagged up! He’d kept that quiet. Other expletives may have been uttered but are not publishable here.
So, not to be outdone I moved around the bay and had 3 fish very quickly to reach my “ECONOMY TICKET” limit of 5.

As there was a lesser degree of water extraction this evening (Mr Brett) the successful flies were black or olive buzzers and a black Bibio for me while Mr Waterhouse took his on black buzzers and an extremely small black nymph (size 14 i think)
I did get some reward out of it all though as my 5 fish weighed slightly more than Peter’s 6.

Another very enjoyable evening out at Rutland.

No comments: