Wednesday 22 October 2008

Brownie in Plummers

Went to Plummers this evening and met Peter for a couple of hours fishing. The weather was ideal, a reasonable SW breeze and we saw a few fish moving so it looked good.

I tried a few casts with a minkie but didn't attract any fish so switched to a Bugler. Moved a fish that had a grab at the fly but missed.

The breeze stopped and everything went flat so I changed set up to a 3 fly leader. Claret Hopper and Corixa on droppers with a daddy on the point. Kept hitting weed so put a Bugler on the point to keep everything up in the water washing line style.

A couple of casts and a great take, a big fish took me all the way to the backing. I managed to turn it and it swam all the way in towards the bank. Close to the net it turned and ran again taking me down to the backing again. I saw it was a nice sized brownie. After a few minutes it was in the net. Peter came down the bank to check it out. We weighed it at 4lb 12oz.

I decided it was too nice a fish to kill so released it to fight another day. Browns are out of season soon so hopefully this one will grow on to be even bigger next year.

A couple of casts later and I had a rainbow take the Bugler. A small stockie about 1lb 8 oz but at least this one was going to make the freezer.

Started to get dark so packed up and headed home.

No comments: